Research & Instruction: Services for Students
- Consult a librarian any time of the day from on or off-campus to ask about library hours or locations, online resources, or finding information through our catalog or databases.
- This service is staffed by Truman librarians during regular library service hours and by librarians at other universities at other times.
- Look for the Chat Now icon on the Library website and in TruSearch and other databases.
The icon on the left will open the Chat box from this page too!
- Ask at the Library Service Desk for help on any research question; this desk will put you in touch with a librarian on duty who can help you immediately.
No appointment necessary!
- During the school year, Research & Instruction Librarians are on duty until 8:00 pm every evening except Saturdays; hours vary during summer, holiday, and interim periods.
- View Research Guides created by Librarians
- Research Assistance Program (RAP) sessions for one-on-one consultations are available to all students and faculty.
- Setting up a RAP session allows a librarian versed in the subject matter to research a topic in advance and then sit down for an in-depth discussion of the student's research needs.
- Use the form to request an appointment for a RAP Session
- Students who want a thorough understanding of research skills should consider our 1-credit elective course LIB 111:Use of Information Resources.
- This class is taught by experienced librarians in the Department of Research & Instruction and emphasizes all aspects of locating, retrieving, and evaluating sources of information in many different formats.
- The course is based on the Framework for Information Literacy articulated by the Association of College and Research Libraries (ACRL)
- The Research & Instruction librarians arrange instruction sessions for classes across campus; use these sessions to learn about the resources and techniques available for class assignments.
- Librarians are always available after these sessions to answer questions about the material or to help you apply it to your research needs.
- Get to know the librarian in your subject area for any questions regarding library and information resources.
To learn about additional services that the library provides, click here.