Statue of Joseph Baldwin was unveiled and dedicated in honor of
our founder’s 100th birthday in October 1927. In May 1928, at the
first commencement following the dedication, the graduating class and
faculty paused in their procession so that Class President Lorna
Wattenbarger could lay a wreath at the foot of the statue in recognition of
Baldwin’s educational ideals and standards. This significant tradition
continues to be a part of all spring commencements with the class
valedictorian[s] doing the wreath-placing honors.
Seventy-five years after the
first wreath was laid, the tradition was expanded to become an important feature
of the University's presidential installations. In 2003, President Barbara
Dixon added it to her ceremony and President Troy Paino followed suit in 2010.
procession circles the Quad and stops while the new president, accompanied by representatives of the
various campus constituencies, places a wreath at the statue’s base.