Guide to Legal Resources
U.S. SUPREME COURT
U.S. SUPREME COURT DIGEST, LAWYER'S EDITION
- Purpose: Summarizes Supreme Court decisions on each subject. It is the
index to Supreme Court decisions in the sources listed below.
- Arrangement: Alphabetically by subject. Includes Table of Cases.
- Notes: Pocket part supplements keep it up to date.
- Location: Ref KF 101.1 D535
- Cited: U.S. Dig.
- Purpose: Full texts of Supreme Court decisions. This is the official
document put out by the government.
- Notes: Text only of decisions. For analysis and other information see
SUPREME COURT REPORTS--LAWYERS EDITION, described below. Use LAWYERS EDITION
for volumes after 1920.
- Location: Ref KF 101 A3 Library has volumes 1-256 (1920)
- Cited: U.S.
SUPREME COURT REPORTS, LAWYERS EDITION
- Purpose: Texts of the Supreme Court's decisions legal analyses
(annotations) and summaries of counsels' arguments. Privately printed.
For earlier volumes, use U.S. REPORTS, described above.
- Location: Ref KF 101 A33 Library has v.66+ (1921+)
- Cited: L.Ed. and L.Ed.2d
SUPREME COURT REPORTER
- Notes: PML does not have this source. It is included here because it is
referred to so often. It is similar to the SUPREME COURT REPORTS, LAWYERS
EDITION, privately printed Supreme Court decisions with commentary. It is
indexed in the U.S. SUPREME COURT DIGEST.
- Cited: S.Ct.
ONLINE SUPREME COURT DECISIONS
UNITED STATES SUPREME COURT DECISIONS: AN INDEX TO THEIR LOCATIONS, by Nancy
- Purpose: Covers major Supreme Court decisions 1792-1980. Leads you to
specific books which list abridgments of Supreme Court decisions or complete
decisions. Of special interest is the Subject Index in Section 5.
- Notes: As we have the full texts of the decisions in sources described on
previous page, this book has limited usefulness for us. However, it does
help you locate material in the general collection which you may check out
of the library.
- Arrangement: Chronologically in Section 3. Section 4 is an alphabetical
"case name index which leads you to Section 3." Subject index in Section
- Location: Ref KF 101.6 G83 1983
SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES 1789-1980: AN INDEX TO OPINIONS ARRANGED BY
JUSTICE, edited by Linda Blandford and Patricia Evans. 2 volumes.
- Arrangement: Chronologically by dates of service for each justice.
- Location: Ref KF 1016 S86 1983
CONSTITUTION OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA: ANALYSIS & INTERPRETATION.
- Purpose: While this is a copy of the Constitution, it includes
annotations of cases decided by the U.S. Supreme Court to July 2, 1982.
Pocket supplement includes annotations of cases through 1986.
- Notes: Alphabetical Table of Cases in the back.
- Location: Ref KF 4527 J39 1987
JUSTICES OF THE U.S. SUPREME COURT, THEIR LIVES & MAJOR OPINIONS
- Purpose: Provides (1) biographical sketches of the justices, (2) digests
of the major opinions, (3) bibliographies for each justice.
- Location: Ref KF 8744 F75 1997
SUPREME COURT REVIEW
- Purpose: Each volume contains approximately 10 essays dealing with current
issues in each session of the Supreme Court.
- Arrangement: Each volume covers one year. No index.
- Location: General Collection KF 8748 S9 Library has 1960, 1965+
ORAL ARGUMENTS OF THE SUPREME COURT OF THE UNITED STATES
GREAT AMERICAN COURT CASES
- Purpose: Identifies cases which have influenced the
development of key aspects of law in the U.S. These are
primarily U.S. Supreme Court cases, but there are a few from
state courts and lower-level federal jurisdictions.
- Location: Reference Collection KF 385 A4 G68 1999 (4 vols)
LANDMARK DECISIONS OF THE SUPREME COURT
- Purpose: Highlights landmark decisions of the U.S. Supreme
- Arrangement: Chronological
- Location: Reference Collection KF 4549 F56 2003
U.S. SUPREME COURT WEB SITE
- Purpose: Official Web site of the court
- Notes: Includes information about the court, docket, recent
decisions, rules, opinions, bar admissions, etc.
Previous page || Next
Back to Table of Contents of Guide to Legal Resources