Guide to Legal Resources
UNITED STATES CODE
- Purpose: Contains all general and permanent laws of the U.S. in force on date of that edition.
- Arrangement: Under 50 titles (subjects) with many subdivision called chapters. Includes subject index, cross reference tables, and a useful table of acts by popular names.
- Notes: Every 6 years a new edition is published. Annual supplements are cumulative.
- Location: Latest edition in Reference Collection KF 62. Earlier editions are in General Collection KF 62. Also available at http://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode and http://www.lexis-nexis.com/universe (LexisNexis available on Truman network only)
- Cited: USC
- Purpose: Contains public laws, private laws and concurrent resolutions and proclamations.
- Arrangement: Chronological by date of passage of the act using the Public Law Numbers,
- Notes: This information is later codified into the UNITED STATES CODE (see above). If you are looking for a law and do not know the PL number, see Congress and the Nation (Ref JK 1 C662).
- Location: Latest Congress kept in Ref KF 50 A3
PL96-138, PL96-139, etc.
Volumes 78+ in General Collection (KF 50 A3)
Volumes 1-77 in Microfiche Cabinet 23 Drawer 7
1988+ also on the Web at LexisNexis Congressional Choose Legal. (Available on Truman network only)
- THOMAS http://thomas.loc.gov
- LexisNexis Congressional http://www.lexis-nexis.com/congcomp Choose Laws. (Available on Truman network only)
- LexisNexis Academic http://www.lexis-nexis.com/universe Choose Legal . (Available on Truman network only)