Guide to Legal Resources
UNITED STATES CODE
- Purpose: Contains all general and permanent laws of the U.S. in force on
date of that edition.
- Arrangement: Under 50 titles (subjects) with many subdivision called
chapters. Includes subject index, cross reference tables, and a useful table
of acts by popular names.
- Notes: Every 6 years a new edition is published. Annual supplements are
- Location: Latest edition in Reference Collection KF 62. Earlier editions
are in General Collection KF 62. Also available at
http://www.lexis-nexis.com/universe (LexisNexis available on Truman
- Cited: USC
UNITED STATES STATUTES AT LARGE
- Purpose: Contains public laws, private laws and concurrent resolutions and
- Arrangement: Chronological by date of passage of the act using the Public
PL96-138, PL96-139, etc.
- Notes: This information is later codified into the UNITED STATES CODE
(see above). If you are looking for a law and do not know the PL number,
see Congress and the Nation (Ref JK 1 C662).
- Location: Latest Congress kept in Ref KF 50 A3
Volumes 78+ in General Collection (KF 50 A3)
Volumes 1-77 in Microfiche Cabinet 23 Drawer 7
1988+ also on the Web at
LexisNexis Congressional Choose Legal. (Available on Truman network
Previous page || Next
Back to Table of Contents of Guide to Legal Resources