Guide to Legal Resources
FEDERAL GOVERNMENT---LEGISLATIVE INFORMATION
- Purpose: Indexes four types of Congressional publications:
- Hearings - transcripts of testimony, discussions, research papers, etc.
- Reports - Legislation in final form and recommendation for passage.
- Committee prints - Research in specific areas
- Other publications - Miscellaneous documents such as a presidential
message outlining the need for a piece of legislation, etc.
- Notes: This is a CD-ROM database which covers 1789-1969. When you have
your print-out look at the dates and CIS numbers (such as H-371).
Hearings end in the number 1. To locate the hearings before 1982 use the CIS
number in the CIS microfiche. For hearings 1982+, you must use the Y4
numbers on your printout. They are shelved with the other government
Items ending with 0, 3, 4, 5 are part of the Serials Set. These are filed
with the CIS microfiche. The Serial Set includes Congressional journals and
administrative reports, Congressional reports on public and private
legislation, reports resulting from Congressionally commissioned or
conducted investigations, annually submitted reports from federal executive
If we don't have a needed item, we will get a microfiche copy for you. Consult
with the Interlibrary Loan office.
- Finding aids for locating microfiche
- Purpose: Published daily while either house is in session. Provides a more
or less verbatim transcript of the legislative debates and proceedings,
subject to revision of their remarks by individual legislators.
- Location: 1873-1990 Microfilm J 11 R399. 1989-1996 Microfiche Cabinet
60, Drawer 7 (X1.1)
1989-Full text on Thomas (Library of
Congress site) look for CR links
1985-Full text on
LexisNexis Congressional (Available on Truman
- Purpose: This is a monthly periodical which focuses on controversial
topics currently before Congress. Gives history, political implications,
etc. Includes a section in which the pros and cons are argued by debaters
involved in the subject. Each monthly issue is devoted to one topic.
- Not a government publication.
- Location: Periodicals JK 1 C65 Library has 1921+
Online full-text 1985+ available through
EBSCOhost Academic Search Elite.
(Available on Truman network only)
CONGRESSIONAL QUARTERLY SERVICE
- CONGRESSIONAL QUARTERLY WEEKLY REPORTS. News service offering a weekly
summary of Congressional action and developments. Quarterly indexes
Located in Periodicals JK 1 C152. Library has 1967+.
Online full-text 1990-2003 available through
EBSCOhost Academic Search Elite. 2004+ indexing only.
- CONGRESSIONAL QUARTERLY ALMANAC. Each volume offers a survey of
legislation for one session of Congress. Major Congressional action is
summarized in sections dealing with categories of legislation (e.g.:
agriculture, crime & justice, education, etc.) subdivided according to
specific topics. Includes voting information on individual measures.
Most recent are kept in Reference Ref JK 1 C662. Library has 1966+.
- CONGRESS AND THE NATION. Offers a survey of U.S. politics and government
based on material from the CQ ALMANAC (above). First volume covers 1945-64.
Subsequent volumes each cover one presidential term. Ref JK 1 C662
Generally 1970+ (Available Truman
Provides comprehensive access to U.S. legislative information from the
Congressional Information Service. You can find
- Congressional publications, hearings, etc.
- Bills, laws, and regulations
- Members and committees
- Inside Washington
- Hot topics in Congress
MAJOR ACTS OF CONGRESS
- Purpose: Describes major American legislation
- Location: Reference KF 154 M35 2004 (3 vols)
Previous page || Next
Back to Table of Contents of Guide to Legal Resources