Guide to Legal Resources
- Purpose: Gives summarized of points of law from Missouri cases, both state
and federal, decided from earliest times to date.
- Arrangement: The blue set considers cases from 1821 to 1929. The green
set, 2d edition, considers cases from 1930 to the present. Pocket
supplements in the green set (2d) keep it current. THIS CAN BE USED AS AN
INDEX TO THE SOUTHWESTERN REPORTER.
Citations are from several sources. Those in PML are listed here:
- L.Ed. Lawyer's Edition of the U.S. Reports
- RSMo. Revised Statutes of Missouri
- S.W. Southwestern Reporter
- U.S. U.S. Reports
- V.A.M.R. Vernon's Annotated Missouri Rules
- V.A.M.S. Vernon's Annotated Missouri Statutes
The indexes serve not only MISSOURI DIGEST but other similar West
publications for other states. Therefore, don't panic if you come across a
blind reference for which there are no Missouri cases.
- Location: Ref K M59
- Cited: Mo.D. and Mo.D.2d
- Purpose: Presents cases decided in the Supreme Court of Missouri and the
Court of Appeals of Missouri.
- Notes: (1983+ has cover title: WEST'S MISSOURI CASES)
- Complete set of SOUTHWESTERN REPORTER includes Oklahoma, Texas, Louisiana
and Missouri. Our library only gets the Missouri section which accounts for
the gaps in pages. (Missouri Supreme Court Library in Jefferson City
contains a complete set of cases from all state. You may request copies
through our Interlibrary Loan office.)
- Arrangement: MISSOURI DIGEST (Ref K M59) can be used as an index to this
- Location: Ref KF 135 S72 M5
- Cited: S.W. and S.W.2d
Web page is very useful for information on recent decisions,
biographical information on the judges, etc. It also provides a link
to the Missouri Court of Appeals--Eastern District which gives the same type of
information for that Court.
LexisNexis Academic . Choose
Legal Research. Provides case law for all the states. (Available only on
MISSOURI LAW REVIEW
- Purpose: Scholarly articles on various points in Missouri law as well as
other state and federal law.
- Notes: Published by University of Missouri School of Law. Has own index
1936-1966. V.A.M.S. cites this on occasion.
- Location: Periodicals K 13 I85. Library has 1946+.
Full text available 1993 (v.58) to present,
Choose Legal Research --> Law Reviews. (Available on Truman network)
- Cited: Mo.L.Rev.
SHEPARD'S MISSOURI CITATIONS
Previous page || Next
Back to Table of Contents of Guide to Legal Resources
- Purpose: Lists individual cases (by legal citation) reported in
SOUTHWESTERN REPORTER, MISSOURI SUPREME COURT REPORTS, and gives citation as
to where this case was discussed in Missouri and federal courts, articles in
legal periodicals, annotations of U.S. SUPREME COURT REPORTS, AMERICAN LAW
REPORTS, and the LAWYERS EDITION OF U.S. Reports.
Also takes Missouri Constitution, laws, etc. and gives amendments, repeals,
etc. by Missouri General Assembly, citations by Missouri and federal courts
analyzed as to constitutionality or validity, citations to articles in legal
periodicals and annotations in U.S. SUPREME COURT REPORTS, AMERICAN LAW
REPORTS, and LAWYERS EDITION.
- Notes: Includes 2 volumes (1963) + supplement and latest monthly issue. In
front of each volume there is an excellent illustration describing how to
use the source.
- Location: Ref KFM 7859 S5