Guide to Legal Resources
MISSOURI HOUSE & SENATE BILLS
The State’s General Assembly provides a bill tracking service when the legislature is in session.LAWS OF MISSOURI
- Purpose: Laws passed by the General Assembly. One volume published with each section of the legislature.
- Arrangement: Subject index and bill number index.
- Notes: These laws are later codified into the REVISED STATUTES OF MISSOURI (pocket part supplements).
- Location: Latest volume in Ref KFM 7825 A24.
- Earlier volumes in Missouriana.
- Purpose: The laws of Missouri. This is the state government's edition (comparable to the U.S. Code for federal law).
- Arrangement: Title, chapter and section number. Index in volume 5. Pocket supplements keep set up-to-date.
- Location: Latest edition in Ref KFM 7830 A27.
- Earlier editions in Missouriana.
- Cited: RSMo.
Also available online through the Missouri General Assembly: (free)
LexisNexisAcademic (Choose Legal Research) includes laws for all the states. (Truman network only)
- Purpose: Provides the laws with references to commentaries and judicial interpretations.
- Arrangement: Same title, chapter and section arrangement as the REVISED STATUTES OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI.
- Notes: The commentaries mentioned above come from the MISSOURI LAW REVIEW (Periodicals K 13 I85) and other Missouri-based law journals (not in Pickler Library). Judicial interpretations come from the decisions of the Supreme Court and Court of Appeals in Missouri, and from the decisions of the U.S. Supreme Court and other federal courts. Of those cited, we have the following:
- S.W. Southwestern Reporter
- S.W.2d Southwestern Reporter (2d series)
- U.S. United States Reports
- L.Ed. Lawyer's Edition of the U.S. Reports
- L.Ed.2d Lawyer's Edition of the U.S. Reports, 2d series
- Location: Ref KFM 7830 A47
- Cited: V.A.M.S.
Paperback supplements keep this set current until the new pocket parts are available. Three places to check to find the latest information: Main volume; Pocket part; Supplement
- Purpose: Scholarly articles on various points in Missouri law and other state and federal law.
- Notes: Published by the University of Missouri School of Law. Has own index 1936-55. V.A.M.S. cites this on occasion.
- Location: Periodicals K 13 I85 Library has 1946+
Full text also available through LexisNexis Academic. Choose Legal Research --> Law Reviews (Available only on Truman networok)
- Cited: Mo.L.Rev.
MISSOURI HOUSE & SENATE JOURNALS
- Purpose: Daily summary of the actions of the General Assembly.
- Permanent bound volumes in Special Collections:
Senate 1834/35+ House 1832/33-1991
House Journals: http://www.house.state.mo.us
Current - Choose Legislative information
Past (1992+) - Choose Past session information
Senate Journals: http://www.senate.state.mo.us
Current - Choose Journals/Senate
Past (1996+) - Choose Past sessions
- Purpose: A series of pamphlets issued during each session to keep us current.
- Arrangement: Laws are published in the chronological order of the approved date of the House and Senate Bills.
- Notes: This material is later incorporated in the cumulative pocket supplements for VERNON'S ANNOTATED MISSOURI STATUTES. Citation to V.A.M.S. and RSMo is given for each law.
- Location: Ref KFM 7830 A47