Guide to Legal Resources
MISSOURI HOUSE & SENATE BILLS
The State’s General Assembly
provides a bill tracking service when the legislature is in session.
LAWS OF MISSOURI
- Purpose: Laws passed by the General Assembly. One volume published with
each section of the legislature.
- Arrangement: Subject index and bill number index.
- Notes: These laws are later codified into the REVISED STATUTES OF
MISSOURI (pocket part supplements).
- Location: Latest volume in Ref KFM 7825 A24.
- Earlier volumes in Missouriana.
REVISED STATUTES OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI
- Purpose: The laws of Missouri. This is the state government's edition
(comparable to the U.S. Code for federal law).
- Arrangement: Title, chapter and section number. Index in volume 5. Pocket
supplements keep set up-to-date.
- Location: Latest edition in Ref KFM 7830 A27.
Also available online through the
Missouri General Assembly: (free)
Legal Research) includes laws for all the states. (Truman network only)
Earlier editions in Missouriana.
- Cited: RSMo.
VERNON'S ANNOTATED MISSOURI STATUTES
- Purpose: Provides the laws with references to commentaries and judicial
- Arrangement: Same title, chapter and section arrangement as the REVISED
STATUTES OF THE STATE OF MISSOURI.
- Notes: The commentaries mentioned above come from the MISSOURI LAW REVIEW
(Periodicals K 13 I85) and other Missouri-based law journals (not in Pickler
Library). Judicial interpretations come from the decisions of the Supreme
Court and Court of Appeals in Missouri, and from the decisions of the U.S.
Supreme Court and other federal courts. Of those cited, we have the
The Missouri Supreme Court Library will have many of the others and you may
request copies through our Interlibrary Loan office.
- S.W. Southwestern Reporter
- S.W.2d Southwestern Reporter (2d series)
- U.S. United States Reports
- L.Ed. Lawyer's Edition of the U.S. Reports
- L.Ed.2d Lawyer's Edition of the U.S. Reports, 2d series
Paperback supplements keep this set current until the new pocket parts are
available. Three places to check to find the latest information: Main
volume; Pocket part; Supplement
- Location: Ref KFM 7830 A47
- Cited: V.A.M.S.
MISSOURI LAW REVIEW
- Purpose: Scholarly articles on various points in Missouri law and other
state and federal law.
- Notes: Published by the University of Missouri School of Law. Has own
index 1936-55. V.A.M.S. cites this on occasion.
- Location: Periodicals K 13 I85 Library has 1946+
Full text also available through
Choose Legal Research --> Law Reviews (Available only on Truman networok)
- Cited: Mo.L.Rev.
MISSOURI HOUSE & SENATE JOURNALS
- Purpose: Daily summary of the actions of the General Assembly.
- Permanent bound volumes in Special Collections:
Senate 1834/35+ House 1832/33-1991
Current - Choose Legislative information
Past (1992+) - Choose Past session information
Current - Choose Journals/Senate
Past (1996+) - Choose Past sessions
VERNON'S MISSOURI LEGISLATIVE SERVICE
- Purpose: A series of pamphlets issued during each session to
keep us current.
- Arrangement: Laws are published in the chronological order
of the approved date of the House and Senate Bills.
- Notes: This material is later incorporated in the cumulative
pocket supplements for VERNON'S ANNOTATED MISSOURI STATUTES.
Citation to V.A.M.S. and RSMo is given for each law.
- Location: Ref KFM 7830 A47
Previous page || Next
to Table of Contents of Guide to Legal Resources