Originally built by the Baptists in 1874, this building became the home of Cumberland Presbyterian when the two congregations traded places in December 1877. The CPs had outgrown their 1868 building and First Baptist, still in debt for the construction of this slightly larger facility, needed some financial relief. Both problems were solved with a switch of properties and a small cash payment to the Baptists to cover the difference in value. This sanctuary remained in service until 1922 when First Presbyterian (the CPs and the Presbyterian Church USA merged as First Presbyterian in 1906) built a larger sanctuary and educational building on the same site.
For information concerning this collection contact: email@example.com