Familiarly known as “Baird’s Bank”, the Porter & Stebbins Bank was organized in 1865 with William Thomas Baird as Manager. Baird and a partner purchased the stock in 1867 and he retained at least partial ownership until 1906 when it was sold to Citizens National Bank and ceased to exist as a separate entity. The bank changed names with each change in its partnership make-up and was First National Bank, the name on the window in this photo, from 1882 to 1894. Other businesses seen in this block (south side of the square): Brewington & Son Dry Goods, 103; Henry Drugs, 105; and CE McDowell, Attorney, upstairs at 105½.
For information concerning this collection contact: firstname.lastname@example.org