How to research an ethnic group:
1. Look up the group's name in the index of the Outline of World
Location: Microfiche Cabinet 17, Drawer 6-8 HRAF OWC
Note the letter/number code for the group --e.g. NF6 for Blackfoot.
Check the description of the group--Is this what you are looking for?
2. Check the list of groups by code to see if Truman has information on this group.
3. Look in Microfiche Cabinet 17, Drawers 6-8. They are arranged
by the group code.
On the left side of the fiche is the category or topic number:
Category 116 will have copies of the complete documents on this people group.
Categories 121+ will have excerpts from these documents arranged by cultural topic.
Paragraphs and pages from the original documents are cut and pasted
and arranged by these category numbers--The numbers for the categories
of cultural topics can be found in the Outline of Cultural Materials (OCM).
1. Look up the term for the topic in the index to the Outline of
Cultural Materials (OCM)
Location: Microfiche Cabinet 17, Drawer 6-8 HRAF OCM
Note the category definition of the topic in the text of the OCM. Make sure this
is the type of information you want to study.
2. To identify which cultures in HRAF exhibit your topic, check the
topic's category number
in the Index to the Human Relations Area Files (Location: MicroRef GN 25 I54).
Under each category number, the letter/number codes of the ethnic groups are
listed with source and author information. The more sources listed, the more
prominent the topic is in the group's culture.
3. Look in Microfiche Cabinet 17, Drawers 6-8. Locate the ethnic
group by letter/number.
Find the topic/category number on the upper left corner of the fiche.
Put the fiche in the reader and find the excerpts from the documents that pertain to
Note: When you are compiling your bibliography, you may refer to Category 111 in each
ethnic group. This category contains full bibliographic references for all of the
documents in the microfiche.
Back to Alphabetical List of Microform Collections