The Chariton Collector


Search by:       Issue      Author       Title

Return to Main    Editor's Comments


Adair County's Own
by: Brian Walker
 The Adair County Historical Society was re-established in 1975 after disappearing from sight in 1940.

An Age Old Tradition
by: Ben Thomas
 Jim Thomas discusses his hobby of beekeeping, how he got started, and the way honey is extracted from the hives.

The American Dream
by: Marty Montgomery and K.C. Baird
 William T. Baird rose from bank clerk and janitor to sole owner of the Exchange Bank of W.T. Baird.

Artifacts of Stone
by: Tonja Green
 The petroglyphs at Thousand Hills State Park are evidence that people have lived in this area for thousands of years.

A Bank Built on Dreams
by: Julie Major and Kim Gonnerman
 The Bank of Worthington was established in 1903 by three brothers, Harvey, Charles, and John Young. This bank became the Bank of Kirksville when Frank Fechtling joined the enterprise in 1913.

The Barnyard Barber
by: Justin Benna
 Ivan Kaden of Coatsville, MO has been shearing sheep since high school.

Basket Weaving
by: Kim Newman
  Marjorie Prewitt of Moberly, MO shows how to make white oak baskets.

The Battle of Kirksville
by: Jennifer Noyes
 On August 6, 1862, a skirmish broke out between Confederate troops led by Colonel Joseph Porter and Union troops under the direction of Colonel John McNeil.

Batter Up!
by: Andrea Vorkink and Kim Gonnerman
 The talented ladies of the Kirksville All-Stars Softball Team won the Missouri State Championship two years running and went on to the National Championships both years.

Beyond the Midway
by: Tonya Eichor and Shelly Hoffman
 County fairs are a tradition that has been participated in in Kirksville since 1866.

Biggest Little Store in Northeast Missouri
by: Karla Baugher
 Morlan's Store in Greencastle, MO not only sells the community what it needs; it provides a place to gather and visit.

Billy Creek Coal Mine
by: David Cenedella
 Marion Baiotto and his son Bill were the owners of the Billy Creek Coal Mine from the time it opened in 1949 until it closed in 1967 because of decreased demand for coal.

Bocce
by: Joe Novinger and Adam Still
  Bill Baiotto discusses how to play Bocce, an Italian lawn game that uses balls about the size of grapefruits.

The Building with Style
by: Kimberly Baker and Susan Cooper
 The Grim Building was contracted by Dr. Edward A. and Dr. Ezra C. Grim to include offices, operating rooms, and examination rooms.

Buy 'Em by the Sack
by: Dan Sullivan and Terry Baker
 The White Cabin Hamburger stand was located at the corner of Jefferson and Elson in Kirksville; it was famous for it's 5¢ hamburgers.

CARDY in its Hay Days
by: Jean McCullough
 The biggest industry in the town of Cardy was the production of charcoal for cooking food on trains.

Carousel Horses
by: Ken Thomas and Mark Wray
 Harold Baker collects and restores antique wooden carousel horses.

A Centennial Anniversary
by: Jonathan Walker
 The town of Gibbs was once a center of shipping between Kansas City and Chicago, but the Depression and WWII helped to move business away from the little town.

The Chariton Liberty Tree
by: Mark McIntyre and Al Lewis
 Adair County had two trees over 200 years old in 1976. These were special because they were around when the country was founded.

The Chase is On
by: Tracy Ogle
 Lewis Ogle tells about raising hounds and hunting foxes.

Chips Today, The Old Fashioned Way!
by: Doug Shoop and Jon Williams
 Country Cooked was established by Alan Fox and Clay Zimmerman in 1982 when they found out a friend of theirs was getting out of the potato chip business.

A College. . . Where?
by: Lisa Winkleman
 Before the Normal School opened in Kirksville, there was Oaklawn College in Novelty.

The Coming of the Colletts
by: Al Lewis and Mark McIntyre
 The Colletts were one of the first families to come to the Kirksville area.

The Common Touch
by: Cathi Fredricks
 Dr. Claud Davis was a man of many talents; he was licensed to practice both optometry and osteopathy, made violins, worked as a jeweler, and read widely.

Connelsville: The Coal Center that Never Came
by: Ken Thomas and Mark Wray
 At one point in its history, Connelsville was projected to outgrow both Kirksville and Novinger because of the large amount of coal shipped through it.

County Trivia
by: Andrea Vorkink and Denny Smoyer
 Adair County was named after John Adair in 1841.

Cut 'em Up and Ship 'em Out
by: Clint Myers
 The Myers Brothers Lumber Company was a sawmill operated from the early 1940s to 1976.

The Day Baldwin Hall Burned
by: Garen Shorten and Alan Hubbard
 The burning of Old Baldwin Hall changed the entire layout of Kirksville State Teachers' College.

Doc Savage
by: Corey Pritchard
 Lester Dent was a pulp magazine writer born in La Plata, MO. His best known character is Doc Savage, a superhero who is intelligent, strong, and good.

The Effect of One Woman
by: Renee Wilson
 Mrs. Marie Turner Harvey turned the Porter school from the worst in the district to a model of success by getting community members involved in the school.

Elaine's Dining Room
by: Angela Briggs
 In 1954, Mrs. Elaine Curtis unexpectedly became the manager of the Colonial Manor. The owners of this venue convinced her to open Elaine's Dining Room in 1957.

Elliot Schoolhouse
by: Karla Tade and Darla Casady
 The Elliot Schoolhouse was a one room school where grades one through eight were taught.

The End of an Electrical Era
by: John Hill and Ben Thomas
 The Bell Electric Service was owned and operated by brothers, Chester and Hurshel Bell from 1933 to 1986.

The End of an Era
by: Tammy Barrickman and Stepania Snyder
 The Kirksville High School on McPherson Street closed in 1960, but it is fondly remembered by students who attended there in the 1950s.

Engine Company No. 1
by: Dan Sullivan and Terry Baker
 The Kirksville Fire Department has been fighting fires since 1879.

Escape-Proof?
by: Rick Gooch and Tony Frost
 The former Adair County Jail at the corner of Franklin and Missouri was once thought to be escape-proof.

Eugene Casey: Views of a Changed Land
by: Wayne Hubbard and Roger Lloyd
  Eugene Casey discussed changes in hunting, convservation and wildlife that have occurred since he was growing up.

A Family Affair
by: Karla Baugher
 The Jones Candy Kitchen was opened in 1922; all of the candy and ice cream sold there was made by the Jones family.

Farming in the Great Depression
by: Christopher Lowe
 Farming in the Great Depression was difficult because of repeated droughts and floods.

Figge's Bottle House
by: Bonnie Bethel and Marilyn Gregory
 Mr. Fred Figge decorated the outside of his house with bottles, drawing visitors from a wide area to see his unusual dwelling.

Fishin' in the Ol' Chariton
by: Darren Schneider and Kent Snipes
 Before the river channel was straightened, it was not uncommon to see catfish of 70-80 pounds.

The Flaming Circle
by: Rene Bonfoey and Michelle Bonfoey
  Dr. Pauline Bates Dingle Knobbs shared her story of meeting the Grand Cyclops of the Ku Klux Klan when he came to Kirksville for a Klan revival.

Floyd Creek
by: Shelly Hoffman
 The town of Sperry was once known as Floyd Creek until the post office moved in 1914, taking the name with it.

Flying High!
by: Tony Frost and Corey Pritchard
 The location for Kirksville Community Airport was chosen by Roy B. "Cap" Dodson.

Follow the Green Line
by: Mindy Upton
 Ruby Green opened his produce store during the Great Depression, buying meat, furs, eggs, and poultry from the people of the town and selling them groceries.

For their Homelands
by: Kimberly Baker
 The Black Hawk War occurred in the summer of 1832 when Black Hawk and his people tried to return to their home in Illinois.

The Forgotten Factory
by: Douglas Ryle
 Joseph M. Ivie opened a brick factory in Kirksville in 1906; it produced building bricks and eventually paving bricks before it closed in 1912.

Frank Truitt's Novinger
by: Annette Greer
 Frank Truitt discussed the impact of immigrants moving into Novinger during the town's coal mining days.

From Dreams to Reality
by: Mike Whitney and John Hill
 Spring Lake was built in 1948 because there was no area near Kirksville for water recreation.

From Princess to Palace
by: Julie Major and Adele LoGaglio
 The Princess Theatre was built in 1914; plays and movies ran there until 1957 when it closed. Today the building that once housed the Princess Theatre now holds Sieren's Palace.

From Riches to Rags
by: Kim Crosley and David May
 The Dockery Hotel was once an elegant building, but over the years has fallen into disrepair. It was placed on the National Register of Historic Buildings.

From the Coal Mines to City Hall
by: Mark McIntyre and Al Lewis
 Pete Anesi grew up at Coal Camp 50, about one mile south of Novinger. He began in the meat packing business when his father gave him $4 because he had worked to help support the family.

Gangster Connections?
by: Ellen James
 The Archer House was reportedly a hideout for gangsters traveling between Kansas City and Chicago.

Generations of Leather and Lace
by: Amy Mock, Jim Kline and Wendy Seigal
 At first some thought the cost of bringing the shoe factory to Kirksville was too great, but it proved itself a valuable addition to the community.

Ghosts in Northeast Missouri
by: Karla Tade
 One abandoned house along Highway 129 appears to have mysterious lights in the windows at dusk each day.

A Golden Dream Come True
by: Lori Owens
 NMSU student Ray Armstead was part of the U.S. men's 4x400 meter relay team that won an Olympic Gold medal in 1984.

Graysville, Anytown USA
by: R. Veach, D. Mehlenbacher, and J. Morgan
 Graysville was originally supported by the timber and coal industries; it had stores, a school, and a church.

The Hands of Time
by: John Morgan and Dan Mehlenbacher
 Alvin Neely of Kirksville enjoyed building grandfather clocks in the spare time provided by his retirement.

Have a Pepsi Day!
by: Tifany Tindall
 Chauncy Leeper was commissioned to sell Pepsi products in the Kirksville area in 1934. In 1935 when Mr. Leeper left the area, Charles Tindall began this job.

A Home Not Forgotten
by: Paul Attebery and Todd Johnson
 Zephiniah Attebery built a lot cabin for his family during the 1840s. Mike Ferrel reconstructed the house just west of Kirksville.

The Horse King of the World
by: Bobby Poston
  Colonel William Preston Hall began brokering horses in Lancaster, Mo and then progressed into the circus business.

In Memory of You, Grandpa!
by: Sharla Fox
 Charly "Hoppy" Fox worked as a merchant's police officer from 1945 until 1974.

In Remembrance of the Ice King
by: Susan Cooper
 James B. Bowcock went into the ice business in the mid 1880s and continued selling ice until 1938. He was also involved in creating a memorial to WWI servicemen who lost their lives.

In Search of Kellwood
by: John Thomas
 The Kellwood mansion is now gone, but its beauty and eccentric owners are legendary around Kirksville.

In the Days of High-Heeled Boots and Tobacco Spit
by: Nial Belzer
 The town of Millard is a railroad town located five miles south of Kirksville on Highway 63.

It all Started With the Irish Immigrants
by: Bobby Poston
 St. Mary's Catholic Church in Adair, MO was established in 1844. The church building was built in 1880 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

It's a Family Affair
by: Janine Shriver and Jennie Higgins
 The Vincent family, better known as the Sally Mountain Show performs bluegrass music all over the country.

It's a Long Way to Tipperary
by: Terry England, Greg Barnes, and Brian Winslow
 Tipperary was a mining town two miles south of Novinger and used to be the place to go for a good time.

It Seems Like Yesterday
by: Laura Magruder
The Imbler family has been in Kirksville since 1882; for many years they ran an orchard.

Joe Burdman, A Humanitarian
by: Molly Upton and Tina Campbell
 Joe Burdman was an important member of the Kirksville community, running his scrap metal and auto parts businesses; he served one term as mayor of Kirksville.

Just as the Clouds Passed Over
by: Kevin Menz
 On April 27, 1899, a devastating tornado hit Kirksville, killing more than 30 people and causing considerable damage to homes and businesses.

KBA: Thirty-five Years of Memories
by: John Hill and Mike Whitney
 The Kirksville Baseball Association was organized in 1953 by a group of parents interested in organizing a baseball league for the community around Kirksville.

Kenneth Gardner
by: Lori Owens and Mike Parsons
 Kenneth Gardner served as track coach at NMSC from 1952 to 1982. He has won several awards for coaching, including the Missouri Intercollegiate Athletic Association coach of the year in 1982.

Kirksville Community Sale Barn: What'll Ya Give Me
by: Mary Ann Bailey
The Kirksville Community Sale Barn was opened by Austin Martin in 1920 and grew to become a vital part of the community.

Kirksville Lodge, No. 464 B.P.O.E.
by: Kevin J. Race
 The Kirksville Elks Lodge was founded in 1899. They are known for their generosity, especially at the annual Christmas celebration.

Kirksville Through the Eyes of a Native
by: Shelly Hoffman
 Jane Denslow, granddaughter of A.T. Still, grew up in Kirksville around the osteopathic college.

Kirksville's Own TOYLAND
by: Tonya Eichor and Clint Myers
 Jerry Tucker sold shoes and insurance before he found his calling running his own toy store.

Let's Go to Pete's
by: Stephania Snyder and Tammy Barrickman
 Pete's Candyland was valued for it's homemade candy, sandwiches, and as a hang out for community members.

Lickskillet
by: James Ray
  The coal mining town of Mapleton was more commonly known as Lickskillet because the people who lived there were said to be so poor they could not survive without licking the bottom of the skillet.

Life as a Milliner
by: Pam Anderson, Jeannie Croarkin, and Alicia Troester
 Jeannette Underhill enjoyed making the latest styles of hats at Underhill's Ready to Wear and Millinery Store.

The Life of Don Faurot
by: Mike Whitney and John Hill
 Don Faurot started his coaching career at NMSTC in 1925 coaching football, basketball, baseball, and track. He then moved to the University of Missouri, turning the Tigers into a winning team.

The Little Church that Could
by: Lisa Winkleman
  The Methodist Church at East Center was built in 1887, but fell into disrepair in the 1910s. The church and community members banded together to fix up this important part of their community.

Little Ponies Show Big
by: Jon Williams and Doug Shoop
 The Williams family worked together to show and breed prize winning Shetland Ponies.

A Man of History
by: Al Lewis and Mark McIntyre
 Dr. David DeArmond March was a valuable history professor at NMSU. After retiring as a teacher, he helped to get several local landmarks on the National Register of Historic Places.

A Man of Many Hats: John W. Tinsman
by: J.S. Srnka
  John W. Tinsman was a man of many talents; he was a businessman, politician, artist, and humorist.

The Manhattan
by: Kelly Moots
 The Manhattan was opened in 1942 by Bill and LaVena Stoukas. It was valued for it's community atmosphere and good food, including all you can eat broasted chicken.

Mary Immaculate: One of a Kind
by: Nial Belzer
 Mary Immaculate, Kirksville's only Catholic school has been teaching students in grades one through eight since 1956.

The Masonic Temple
by: Mike Truitt and Jerry Winslow
 The Masonic Temple at the intersection of Harrison and High Streets in Kirksville was built in 1930.

The Meeks Murders
by: The Meeks Murders
 On May 10, 1894, Gus Meeks, his wife, Delora and two of their daughters, Hattie and Mamie were brutally murdered. One daughter, Nellie escaped to sound the alarm.

Missouri's Tall Daughter
by: Bobby Poston
 Ella K. Ewing grew to be 8 ft. 4 1/2 in tall due to the overproduction of hormones by her pituitary gland.

More than 90 Years of News
by: Mike Parsons and Jerry Winslow
 The Rhinehart News Agency kept Northeast Missouri informed about world, national, and local events for over 90 years.

Muzzle-Loading in Missouri
by: Brent Winn
 Tony Mihalevich enjoys the challenge of hunting with a muzzle-loading gun.

New Baden Springs: Magic or Myth
by: Gary England and Rich Anderson
 The springs at New Baden were renowned for their curative properties.

A New Generation in Kirksville
by: Denny Smoyer
 James and Catherine Schmoyer were originally headed for Oregon but they liked northeast Missouri and decided to stay.

North against South. . . Gifford
by: John Buck
  Gifford was a railroad town, so of course one of the biggest battles the residents ever faced was the location of the train depot.

Northeast Missouri Folklore
by: Bobby Poston
 Legends told include: "The Foreshadow of Death," "The Lamp that Went Out," and "Jesus is Coming"

Northeast Missouri Folklore: Local Legends and Tales
by: Bobby Poston
 "Bridge Creek and the Panthers," "The White Horse," and "Route P"

Nothing but the Best
by: Tifany Tindall and Christopher Lowe
 The English Tudor style house on the 1000 block of East Normal Street was built with great attention to detail.

The O Teams
by: David Snyder and Paul Attebery
 During the late 1800s and early 1900s, the osteopathic school in Kirksville was very involved in athletics, with football, baseball, basketball, tennis and other teams.

Old Post Office
by: Claudia Frazier
 Before the Post Office was built at its present location at the intersection of Jefferson and High Streets, it was housed at Franklin and McPherson in what is now the City Hall Building.

On the Banks of Hazel Creek
by: Melanie Hughes and Ramona Richardson
 Parts of the Hazel Creek/Fegley area were covered by water when the Forrest Lake was built.

One Cold November Morning
by: Leigh Klinginsmith and Kristy Mollick
 On November 17, 1930, Officers John Rose and George Scriven had a shootout with an armed robber.

Opening Night
by: David Cenedella and Ron Van Wynsbergfall
 The Kennedy Theatre opened in March 1926 and became one of Kirksville's favorite entertainment venues where you could catch a movie or watch a play.

Our Feathered Friends
by: Chris Sieren and Todd Johnson
 Turkeys, pheasants, quail, and the ruffed grouse are popular targets for Missouri hunters.

The Palace Bakery
by: Charla Morris and Kim Wayman
 The Palace Bakery was owned and run by the Bondurant family from 1907 until 1963. It sold baked goods, ice cream, milk, and butter.

The Panther Hunt
by: Richard Ralston
 Stories of panthers persist in Northeast Missouri. Two such stories are told by Terry Findling and Otha E. Ralston, Jr.

The Passing of an Era
by: Bobby Poston
 Estille Edward Thomas was one of the last cowboys.

Paul Straight
by: Denise Whittle and Angie Neff
 Paul Straight talks about the fiddle and jew's harp, tells several folk tales, and describes the town of Yarrow.

A Personal Politician
by: Lorinda Scott and Carrie Stone
 William Oren Mackie served in both the State Senate and House of Representatives.

Phradie Wells
by: Annette Greer
  Phradie Wells was a humble woman who sang with the Metropolitan Grand Opera for several years, then came back to Kirksville to teach music.

A Picturesque Landmark
by: Jean McCullough
 In 1913 Orie J. Smith sent away for a barn blueprint; this round barn can still be seen today on Highway P three miles east of Kirksville.

A Pioneer in Education
by: Dana Kollar and Gayla Hill
 Joseph Baldwin was born a farm boy and grew to become founder and president of the North Missouri Normal School.

Play it by Ear
by: Tom Van Vleck
 Dalton Jackson discusses his history of playing folk music on the twelve string guitar.

The Point of the Matter
by: Garen Shorten
 Oren and Marie Russell of La Plata, MO began collecting barbed wire in 1968.

Preserving a Heritage
by: Gayla Hill
 Quilting was and continues to be a popular albeit time consuming hobby for ladies in the Kirksville area.

The Presses Have Stopped
by: Mike Truitt, Mark White and Tandy Adkins
 The Journal Printing Company served the Kirksville community for over 100 years, printing newspapers, books, and periodicals such as The Chariton Collector.

Pure Air, Missouri
by: Tina Campbell, Molly Upton and Kelly Moots
 The town of Pure Air, Missouri was named by "Granny" Johnson who managed the General Store.

Raisin' Cane
by: Angela Briggs
 Marvin Mears and Butch Johnson show how to make sorghum.

Riding Circuits to Writing Editorials
by: Tonya Krueger
 Glenn Frank attended school at the Normal School in Kirksville and went on to become President of the University of Wisconsin.

The Ritz
by: Marty Montgomery
 The Ritz Cafe, located at 209 North Elson was a popular place to discuss local political events in the mornings before work.

Scenes from the Past
 Includes pictures of: Brick factory employees in Des Moines, IA, the Johnston Harvester Co., building the Santa Fe railroad, and an immigrant family

Scenes from the Past
by: Mark McIntyre and Al Lewis
 Includes pictures of: Bridge over the Chariton River at Yarrow, a log cabin, a view of Yarrow, and the Weber Mill

Scenes from the Past
 Pictures of the Kirksville County Club and the adjoining golf course.

Scenes from the Past
 Pictures of the Kirksville square from the early 1900s

Scenes from the Past
 Pictures of the Laughlin Bowl, an amphitheater that was once part of the Kirksville College of Osteopathic Medicine campus.

Scenes from the Past
 Pictures of old farm machinery

Scenes from the Past
 Pictures of the aftermath when the City Drug Store in Novinger, MO exploded

Scenes from the Past
 Pictures relating to the buildings focused on osteopathic medicine in Kirksville, including the hospital and A.T. Still University

Scenes from the Past
 Pictures of the original unveiling, restoration, unveiling of the restored statue of A.T. Still on the Courthouse lawn.

Scenes from the Past
 The house built by Jacob Maggard in 1836 was used as a hospital after the Civil War Battle of Vassar Hill.

Scenes from the Past
 Pictures of the progression of football uniforms since 1900

Scenes from the Past
 Pictures of autograph albums from 1880 through the early 1900s.

Scenes from the Past
 Pictures of the Andrew T. Still College County Club

Scenes from the Past
 Pictures of Red Barn Park

Setting the Woods on Fire
by: Teresa Hays
 Leland Hays enjoyed hunting foxes from the time he was a boy. After coyotes moved into the area, he and his hounds hunted those too.

Showdown at Stahl
by: Cathy Mitchell and Brian Riley
 On January 27, 1894, the feud between the Lloyd and Bransteter families turned deadly.

Silver Star Drive-In Theatre
by: Renee Wilson
  Day Mangus decided to use part of his horse pasture to build the Silver Star Drive-In Theatre in 1949.

The Smokeshop- Gone, but not Forgotten
by: Rocky Veach and Ron Van Wynsberg
 The Smokeshop was a popular place to play pool and get a malt from the time it opened in the 1930s until it closed in 1976.

Sperry's Own Dr. Kennedy
by: David May
 Dr. Kennedy served the community of Sperry between 1916 and 1945, making house calls at any time of the day or night to care for his patients.

Spreading the Word
by: Bryan Thompson
 Reverend Archie Cooper gave daily sermons as one of the longest running programs on KIRX radio.

The Srnka House
by: Jill James
 The house located at 904 E. Harrison was first owned by T.J. Dockery. It is notable for it's beautiful architecture and wood work.

A Still and Lasting Foundation
by: Cathi Fredricks and Kim Crosley
 The home of Charles Still and his wife at 218 South Osteopathy became a convalescent home after it was donated to the osteopathic college. Now it is owned by the Atlas Club.

Syrup for the Tapping
by: Mark McIntyre and Chris Collop
  Etzel Sanders has been making maple syrup since he was a boy.

Tea for Three
by: Susie Danner and Martha Kuchera
 Virginia Barnes, Delma Danner, and Anna Kelley were interviewed about the habit of drinking sassafras tea in the early spring.

The Thirty Year President
by: Doug Ryle and Denny Smoyer
 Walter Ryle did great things for NMSTC; he increased the campus size from 15 to over 100 acres, brought new building projects, and encouraged the growth of the student population.

This Old Air Base is Still Alive and Kickin'
by: Darren Schneider and Kent Snipes
 The air base in Sublette, MO was built in 1951.

Tombstones Tell the Story
by: Jane Lintner and Renea Scott
  Meanings behind tombstone decorations are explored.

A Tradition Since Forgotten
by: Sharla A. Fox
  Barn dances were popular entertainment during the 1930s because they were fun and also fairly inexpensive.

Traditional Ways in Modern Days
by: Tonja Green and Bryan Thompson
 Hazel Creek Church and it's adjoining cemetery were established in 1896 on land deeded to the church by William and Mary Link for $1.

Train of Promise
by: Dana Kollar
 Several children from New York came west on the Orphan Train and were adopted by families in the area.

Travelers Hotel
by: Andrea Vorkink and Adele LoGaglio
 Travelers Hotel, once located at the corner of Main and Washington, opened in 1923 and was known for the royal treatment it gave it's customers.

Troester's Clothing Store
by: Alicia Troester and Lorinda Scott
 Troester's has been a part of the Kirksville community since it opened in 1922. It has survived fires, new locations, and changing styles.

Turkey Hunting
by: J.V. Scofield and Fred Benson
 Wild turkeys were reintroduced to northeast Missouri in 1960. Since then, their population has increased rapidly, so much so that hunting turkeys was allowed only seven years after they had been reintroduced.

Uncle Ben's Place
by: Renee Wilson
 Ben Ownbey opened up his lake for public use in the 1890s. People could rent boats, dance at the pavilion, picnic or fish.

The Unforgotten Sport
by: Amy Mock and Jim Kline
 Semi-professional baseball teams were extraordinarily popular 1930s and 40s.

Vacancy: Historic Site Seeking another Worthwhile Tenant
by: Vicki Martin and Cindy Gardner
 The Blees Military Acadamy was built in about 1896. After the Academy closed, the building was used by the Still-Hildreth Sanitorium for several years.

Wart Spookin'
by: Pam Rogers
  Arthur Steele was interviewed to talk about how he gets rid of warts.

Water Under the Bridge
by: Rich Anderson and Gary England
 The mill at Yarrow was a valuable part of the community; it ground grain, generated electricity, and carded wool for the local populace.

Water Witching
by: John Hill
 Water witches can figure out where to dig for a well with only a stick, copper rod, or piece of wire.

Waves from the Past
by: Laura Magruder and Kevin Race
 The Radio station KIRX began broadcasting in 1947. It's innovative programming was a big hit throughout the area with programs such as Party Line and Area Scene.

We Would Just Like to Say Thank You
by: Chris Sieren and David Snyder
 Forrest Lake in what is now Thousand Hills State Park was built in 1950-51. It was funded by the city of Kirksville and the land was donated to build the State Park.

What a Classic!
by: Leigh Klinginsmith and Kristy Molllick
 The present Adair County Court House was built in 1898 and is listed on the National Register of Historical Places.

Who Was J.R.?
by: Matt Dodson
 J.R. Dodson was a member of the Kentucky Riflemen during the War of 1812. After the war, he married and moved to Adair Co. Missouri with his wife and their twelve children.

William Unger - A Man Who Taught People How to See
by: Brian Riley and Cathy Mitchell
 Painter, William Unger came to the United States in 1948 from Austria and taught at the NMSU between 1960 and 1972.

The World's 10-Inch Genius
by: Carla Coy and Sharla Hatter
 Mrs. Ivie McGuire MacCarthy was known for her artistic talents, especially her ability to produce miniature bronze sculptures of people.

Youngstown
by: David Cody and James Sells
  Youngstown was founded in 1904 by George Young when the I and St. Louis Railroad was built.