American Indian Oral History : The Duke Collection
Location: Microfiche Cabinet 5, Drawer 1
“Sponsored by Doris Duke, the American Indian Oral History Collection, grew out of a program of Indian oral history designed to give Indians an opportunity to express their own views on their heritage and place in American history. Tape-recorded testimony, taken from members of most of the Indian tribes in Oklahoma, has been transcribed without changes.
This oral history represents Indians’ own perspective on the historical process in which they have been involved, and their aspirations and feelings as they search for a meaningful existence within the context of our plural society.” (Microform Research Collections: A Guide Ref Z 1033 M5 D64 1984)
How to search the collection
The index to the Duke American Indian Oral History collection is on microfilm at Microfilm E 78 .045 D8. It is a reproduction of a catalog card collection which is by subject. This catalog covers three volumes and is reproduced on eight reels of microfilm.
Here is how to find something:
1. Reel through the microfilm of the index to the Duke American Indian Oral History Collection microfilm until you find the subject that you want.
2. Most subject cards have the number for an interview in the American Indian Oral History Collection. These are always prefaced by a “T” for transcript. Write down the transcript number and the page number from the subject card. For Example:
Alcoholic beverages, mention of T-194 p.10
3. The beginning of the first reel of the index has a guide which lists each transcript by number and the fiche number on which it is found (as seen below). This guide has been printed out and placed beside the index to the Duke American Indian Oral History Collection at the following call number – Microfilm E 78 .045 D8 Guide.
4. Go to Microfiche Cabinet 5, Drawer 1 and pull out the microfiche number that you need. In this case “179”.
5. Go to T-194, p. 10 on the microfiche 179.
The volume number does not have much to do with finding anything in this collection.
There also seem to be some transcripts which are not on the microfiche.
Index to the Duke Indian Oral History Collection. Greenwich, Conn. : Johnson Associates, 1981 (Microfilm E 78 O45 D8.)
For more information about this subject in our Library Catalog, check out these
Time Period: 20th Century
Subject keywords: Native American Studies, U. S. History