Lyndon B. Johnson National Security Files. Latin America, 1963-1969
Location: Microfilm F 1418 L85 1987 Microfilm F 1418 L852 1999 (First Supplement)
This collection contains all available materials in all of the “Country Files” on Latin America in the National Security Files for 1963-1969. For example, the “Country Files” for Brazil detail the Johnson administration’s increasing tolerance of right-wing military coups where the U.S. played an indirect but significant role in the 1964 overthrow of the constitutional Goulart government by a military clique. Included are:
• Extensive records of cable traffic between the departments and agencies in Washington and embassies and missions.
• Memoranda of conversations between U.S. and foreign officials and among top U.S. officials
• Intelligence reports assessing critical foreign policy issues
• Internal memoranda, such as those from the national security advisers to the president
• Agendas for and records of top-level meetings.
How to search the collection
There are two guides, one for the 1987 edition and one for the 1999 first supplement, which include a subject index, author index and reel index.
A Guide to the Microfilm Edition of The Lyndon B. Johnson National Security Files.
Latin America : National Security Files, 1963-1969. (Microfilm F 1418 L85 1987 Guide)
A Guide to the Microfilm Edition of the Lyndon B. Johnson National Security Files. Latin America : National Security Files, 1963-1969, First Supplement (Microfilm F 1418 L852 1999 Guide)
For more information about this subject in our Library Catalog, check out these
Time Period: 20th Century
Subject keywords: U. S. Politics